Adopt FHIR R4 as a standard for enrollment data.
Simpler to focus on a single standard where specs are clear.
Decouples ID3C from the peculiarities of the Seattle Flu Study (towards the vision of a more general data system).
Promise of greater interoperability in the future from other data providers (HealthKit/ResearchKit/ResearchStack, EPIC and other EMRs, …).
- FHIR is complex.
- It may be hard to avoid special-casing our needs.
- Writing a conversion from Audere's documents to FHIR (or get Audere to do this?)
- Writing a conversion from REDCap surveys to FHIR (or using existing tools?)
- Writing a conversion from clinical records to FHIR (or pulling these directly from the EMR?)
- Write a single ETL routine to handle all these sources of FHIR documents
FHIR resources we'd primarily use would be:
- Patient (sex)
- Encounter (age, site, place)
- REDCap on FHIR — export FHIR documents from REDCap, paper and slides available, not sure about code.
- Dynamic data pulls (DDP) on FHIR — a way to have EMR records flow into REDCap (and then onto ID3C)